Twelve months, Twelve resolutions

1.13.2011

January 12, 2011

J: Scribbled a few lines of poetry here and there on the metro. Nothing to report, except I that in between a couple attempts at different things I realized I rather like trochaic octameter. Anyway I wasn't too consistent with that either, because...well...heck, here's the only semi complete anything I ended up with, don't know if it's any good yet or not. But here it is in all its 30 minute, first draft glory (sure, I could technically work on this for a couple days, but what good is the internet for if not instant publication of half baked ideas?).

This either tells you why I don't have anything to report here, or...well heck, here's the poem.

What we mean when we write poems

I have seen and written of infinity in a liverwort
(we think we say it best or maybe first)
My love for you was so vast inside that I set
it against the stars and roaring majesties
like rivers.

Death drug me down the stairs of profound sorrow,
which i described as a prairie fire,
though all we mean is: death is awful, lost in love
you are so lovely, and this small thing makes
us feel small.


R:

Today I stayed up during the highly valued nap-time, to work on my 30 minutes of creative time--because I planned on spending two hours of creative time! I had made Jamie Oliver's roasted chicken and winter vegetables the other night and had a chicken carcass waiting for me in the fridge. I have always wanted to try and make Julia Child's chicken stock--since The Way to Cook opens with it, and this little bird was the one that would suit perfectly.

It was so fun to work on the chicken stock, and well worth doing (After G's first bite she said, "Oh my gosh! This broth is so good! I'm scarfing this."). Now that JO's roasted chicken has become a favorite around here, the stock is going to be making regular appearances as well. It was nice to have a quiet 2 hours to focus on it, and should be able to make it pretty easily in the future. I used the left over chicken (and added one sauteed breast) along with the left over roasted veg for a perfect winter soup.

By the way, Jamie's roast turns out perfectly every single time: the chicken is moist and the skin is crispy, the vegetable are not soggy or melding into one another--they are crisp and brown and oh so good. I've included a picture of the roast as well to tempt you.

It was also nice to get two really good meals out of one.

...look out! Tomorrow's creative time will be taking place in the kitchen as well.

2 comments:

  1. it turns out perfect every time--even when you put the bird in upside down! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I meant to put that in, but got distracted!!!! So so true.

    ReplyDelete