Twelve months, Twelve resolutions

1.10.2011

January 7, 2011

J:


I'd like to consider it an act of creativity, however ill-wrought and suddenly executed, that I recited three things at the epiphany party. Ambushed by the fact that folks were reciting things, I was limited to what was left in my memory after a few glasses of wonderful champagne, some delectable roasted grapes, a bit of Vin de Noix, and a teeny bit of this thanks to Wandering Pilgrim's discerning taste. I can also confirm that R did in fact knit, with the dome light on, the whole way out to the party.
 
Recited Verse:
 
From book 22 of the Ilia (Richmond Lattimore translation)
 
"'Hektor, argue me no agreements. I cannot forgive you.
As there are no trustworthy oaths between men and lions,
nor wolves and lambs have spirit that can be brought to agreement
but forever these hold feelings of hate for each other,
so there can be no love between you and me, nor shall there be
oaths between us, but one or the other must fall before then
to glut with his blood Ares the god who fights under the shield's guard.'
Remember every valor of yours, for now the need comes
hardest upon you to be a spearman and a bold warrior.
There shall be no more escape for you, but Pallas Athene
will kill you soon by my spear. You will pay in a lump for all these
sorrows of my companions you killed, in your spears fury" [ok, I missed three or so of these lines, but the gist was there]
 
The Panther - Ogden Nash
The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.

Fishing - by J
I know men,
Who will brook no opposition
from a trout.


R:

Knitted in the car, in a cocktail dress, on the way to an Epiphany party. I am that dedicated to this resolution!

1 comment: